Are you an HP laptop user and facing troubleshoot errors? If yes, then this article is for you! In this article, you will get to know about quick steps to reset your HP laptop. By following these simple steps, you can easily get started with the resetting process.
Resetting your HP laptop is quite simple but at the same time, it provides the optimum security level to the laptop. The resetting process assists in wiping out all the stored data which helps in maintaining the privacy of the user. With the help of this process, you can also remove any viruses or malicious software installed on your laptop. Therefore, it is better to reset the laptop from time to time to make sure the security level of the laptop is in check.
Step 1: Backing Up Your Data
Backing up your data is an important step before resetting a laptop. To back up your HP laptop, you can use a USB drive, an external hard drive, or cloud storage. Here’s how to do it:
- Connect the storage device to your HP laptop.
- Open File Explorer.
- Select the folders and files you wish to back up.
- Right-click the selected items and select “Copy” from the options.
- Go to the window of the storage device.
- Right-click with your mouse at the point where you want the files to be stored
- Select ” Paste” to store the files in your storage device.
Once you have backed up your data, you’re ready to proceed with the resetting of your HP laptop.
Step 2: Initializing a System Reset
Before you learn how to reset an HP laptop, let’s take a quick look at step 2: initializing a system reset. System reset brings back your laptop to its original factory settings by deleting all files, applications, and drivers installed after purchase.
Here’s what you should do to initialize a system reset:
- Press the power button and hold it for at least 8 to 10 seconds until you see a black screen appearing with HP logo.
- Quickly press the f10 key for system recovery.
- From the options provided choose the “system recovery” option.
- Choose the “Proceed without backing up files” option.
- Follow the instructions from the pop-up window like review important information, click ‘Yes’, select ‘Restart’ to proceed with system reset.
- Wait for the system reset to be finished. After the reset, your laptop will reboot.
That’s it! You have now successfully initialized a system reset on an HP laptop. Make sure to backup all your personal data stored in the laptop before doing the reset, otherwise you might lose it all.
Step 3: Finishing the Reset Process
Once you have stepped through the first two parts of the reset process, you are now in the final stage. Here are the steps to take to finish the reset process:
- To complete resetting your HP laptop, make sure the power cord is connected and the laptop is on.
- Navigate to the recovery page by pressing the F11 key while your laptop is booting.
- Once you are on the recovery page, make sure that System Restore is selected.
- Choose a restore point. If you do not have a specific restore point, you can select the Latest System Setup.
- After selecting a restore point, press the “Continue” button.
- The recovery process will now start. Wait until the recovery completes, it will take a few minutes.
- Once the recovery is finished, restart your laptop and go through the initial setup process.
You have now completed the reset process on your HP laptop!